Thursday, July 23, 2026

Could the law not have shown a little more compassion for an elderly defendant?

Could the law not have shown a little more compassion for an elderly defendant?




As I write this, I would like to speak about Mr. Man Hee Lee, Chairman of HWPL (Heavenly Culture, World Peace, Restoration of Light), a peace advocate. When I heard the recent news of his detention, I could not take it lightly. My intention is not to defend any particular religion or to judge every aspect of his work. However, it is a fact that, as a peace activist, he has traveled to many countries around the world, promoting peace and contributing to his nation's international standing. Seeing someone who has devoted himself to international peace efforts being detained before his trial has even begun gave me much to think about, even as an ordinary citizen with no legal expertise. 


Chairman Lee was born in 1931 and is 95 years old this year. He is also a Korean War veteran who is officially recognized for his military service. I believe one of the reasons he has devoted himself so passionately to peace activities is that, having experienced the horrors of war firsthand, he understands better than most the value of peace. During the investigation, multiple search and seizure operations were carried out, and media reports indicated that he cooperated with the authorities on each occasion, providing extensive materials that allowed investigators to secure a substantial amount of evidence. Of course, the court may have had sufficient grounds that are not known to the general public. Even so, I cannot help but wonder whether greater consideration could have been given to his advanced age and health condition.


Another aspect that gave me pause was the direction the investigation has taken. It reportedly began with allegations of coercing people to join a particular political party, a potential violation of the Political Parties Act. However, the scope of the investigation has since expanded to include allegations such as embezzlement, tax evasion, and violations of the Political Funds Act. I have no doubt that the investigative authorities have their own legal grounds and procedures for broadening the investigation. Even so, I believe that providing the public with a clearer and more transparent explanation of the reasons behind this expansion would help reduce unnecessary misunderstandings and strengthen public trust. 


At the same time, I cannot help but raise the issue of fairness when looking at another religious case that received media attention around the same period. In that case, reports indicated that members of the organization's staff were found to have attempted to destroy evidence and were subsequently indicted without detention. Yet the principal figure in the case was not prosecuted because the statute of limitations had expired on some allegations and there was deemed to be insufficient evidence on others. Of course, it would be inappropriate to draw a simple comparison between these two cases, as each involves different facts and legal issues. Nevertheless, it is only natural that members of the public will compare them. When people see different outcomes, they naturally want to understand why. If the results of two high-profile cases appear inconsistent, I believe the investigative authorities should provide a clearer and more accessible explanation of the reasons behind those differences. Such transparency would help strengthen public confidence in the fairness of the justice system. 


Whenever the standards for exercising authority appear to differ from one person to another, public trust in the system inevitably begins to erode. As an ordinary citizen with no legal expertise, my hopes are not complicated. I simply believe that greater compassion should be shown toward those who are elderly and in poor health, and that the principle of the presumption of innocence should be respected until a court reaches its final verdict. For these reasons, I view the detention of peace advocate, HWPL Chairman Man Hee Lee, as a matter of considerable significance. I also believe that the reasons for the scope of an investigation and any differences in legal decisions should be explained in a clear and transparent manner that the public can readily understand.


It is deeply regrettable to see someone who has promoted peace on the global stage, enhanced his country's international standing through those efforts, and is also a decorated Korean War veteran being subjected to detention in this manner. I sincerely hope that he will be given the opportunity to defend himself while remaining at liberty, allowing the truth to be established through a fair and orderly judicial process. Above all, I hope that the final judgment will be one that is fair, impartial, and capable of earning the trust and understanding of the public.


Reference : https://vo.la/cF5KZKV 

No comments:

Post a Comment